Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD or TMJ) is the name given to over a dozen disorders affecting the proper alignment of your jaw. Subtle misalignment may be asymptomatic and only detected during your regularly scheduled appointments at our Lincoln Park area office. However, TMD often presents itself through a range of limiting and painful symptoms, the first appearance of which should prompt an immediate call to our office for a neuromuscular dentistry evaluation.
- Clicking, popping, or grinding noises in the jaw
- Lockjaw or painful limitations to jaw movement
- Chronic headaches
- Ear ringing without the presence of infection
- Neck and backaches
If you are suffering from any of the symptoms of TMD in the greater Chicagoland area, please contact Chicago Smile Spa or call (773) 348-2704 today to schedule a neuromuscular dental evaluation with Dr. Gerilyn Alfe.
Detecting and Treating TMD in Chicago
Dr. Alfe uses a combination of hands-on evaluations and diagnostic tools to detect TMD. Technology Dr. Alfe may use to determine if your jaw is misaligned includes:
- JVA – Joint vibration analysis uses advanced computer software to determine the location and severity of your TMD
- TekScan® – this technology provides a computer analysis of your bite, providing Dr. Alfe with significant information on how best to treat your particular case of TMD
Once TMD is detected, the state-of-the-art dental technology utilized by Dr. Alfe will play a direct role in determining the most effective treatment option.
TMD treatment options offered by Dr. Alfe include:
- Pain relief through BOTOX® Cosmetic injections and TENS therapy
- Prevention of jaw clenching and teeth grinding through oral splints
- Retraining of jaw muscles with customized mouthguards
The treatment that is ideal for you will depend on the cause of your TMD and extent of damage already present.
If you live in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, or anywhere in the greater Chicagoland area and would like to learn more about detecting and treating TMD, please contact Chicago Smile Spa today to schedule your neuromuscular dentistry evaluation with Dr. Gerilyn Alfe.