Following a diagnosis of TMJ (sometimes referred to as TMD), a treatment plan will need to be established. Your TMJ treatment plan will be based on your specific needs and customized by Chicago neuromuscular dentist Dr. Gerilyn Alfe to eliminate pain and restore alignment to your jaw.
If you live in the greater Chicagoland area and are suffering from TMJ, please contact Chicago Smile Spa or call (773) 348-2704 today to schedule a comprehensive examination with Dr. Gerilyn Alfe.
TMJ Treatment for Chicago area Patients
Pain is one of the most common TMJ symptoms, making its elimination one of the first steps in treating TMD. To eliminate pain, Dr. Alfe may choose from solutions such as:
- TENS Therapy – TENS units emit gentle electrical pulses that allow for the immediate relaxation of muscles. This treatment is useful for both pain relief and establishing the proper alignment of your jaw
- BOTOX® Cosmetic – long used for migraine and headache relief, and approved by the FDA for this purpose, BOTOX® Cosmetic injections interrupt pain signals between muscles and nerves, producing immediate and long lasting relief
Relieving pain is, of course, a primary focus of TMJ treatment, but preventing its reoccurrence by addressing the underlying issue is equally important. Producing lasting results requires retraining your muscles and preventing issues such as bruxism (teeth grinding) that can contribute to TMJ. This may be accomplished through treatment options including:
- Oral splints – Dr. Alfe offers the NTI-tss™ Splint to help prevent jaw clenching and bruxism
- Mouthguards – Dr. Alfe has found that Aqualizer® mouthguards are incredibly effective at preventing bruxism and holding your jaw in its optimal position to retrain muscles while you sleep
- Adult orthodontics – if malocclusion is causing your TMJ, adult orthodontics such as Invisalign® and ClearCorrect™ can be incredibly useful
- Restorative dentistry – addressing general dental issues can often help treat and prevent TMJ
These treatments can be supplemented with jaw exercises, stress reduction, and other personalized solutions. Dr. Alfe will discuss all of this with you in greater detail during your neuromuscular dentistry examination.
To learn more about TMJ, TMD or the neuromuscular dentistry services offered by Dr. Gerilyn Alfe, please contact Chicago Smile Spa today. Dr. Alfe is proud to serve patients throughout the greater Chicagoland area including Lakeview, Lincoln Park, and surrounding Chicago communities.